Monday, August 24, 2009

Butterfly Festival

So, I'm thinking the best part of August has to be the butterflies because it certainly isn't the weather. Holy cow it's hot and humid out here! Last weekend, despite the extreme heat, we drove out to Pennington, NJ for the annual Butterfly Festival. It's a really small festival, but we just love seeing the greenhouse full of huge caterpillars, cocoons (or, as the specialists say, chrysalisis), and of course the butterflies.
This year we were lucky enough to see a butterfly emerge from it's chrysalis. Truly amazing. It's body was so huge and it's wings were so small. Then, it's body started contracting and pushing the extra body fluid through it's veins and into it's wings to make them bigger. I sure didn't know that's how it happened. Ella was so excited because she actually got to hold a butterfly. That was really cool, too!
In the greenhouse surrounded by butterflies, although you can't see them in the picture.
Brooklyn spotting the butterflies.
Being silly.
Ella holding the butterfly. How cool is that?!
I told you it was hot... check out the sweat on Brooklyn's head (yes, that's sweat). Hilarious.
Melting away on the hayride that took us absolutely nowhere.
I think this is where Brooklyn started sweating so much to give her that nice wet ring around her head.
Ella landed in the most disgusting pool of water, mud, grass, and who knows what else at the bottom of the side. Oh well, the girl had a blast sliding down this a few times.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like fun! Ella down the slide into the water cracks me up. Trust me, I feel your pain on the heat thing. We are finding ways to entertain ourselves inside the house rather than our norm, which has been to head outside. That's Texas compared to Colorado. We're settled in and ready for you guys to visit so get planning...FYI, SeaWorld is closed in Jan. and Feb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Ella's wings. So cute. What a fun outing. If I didn't know better I would have thought you were hanging out here in Arizona! Do you have any plans of coming back for Lindsey's baby? C'mon, it would be so much fun!!

    ReplyDelete