I love to garden. I love to plant seeds and watch them grow. I especially love to watch them grow into something edible. Unfortunately, my garden doesn't always turn out the way I envision at the start of the season. I imagine going out to the back yard, basket in hand, and picking, pulling and plucking everything I need to make a fresh salad, side dish, salsa... whatever.
That has pretty much never happened. What's the deal? I mean, I have farming in my blood for heaven's sake, so you would think I could grow something, right?!
Well, maybe gardening is more of a talent than a hobby. In that case, it doesn't surprise me that I don't have much luck. (I'm still searching for my talents). And, since it's been established that I'm not the best gardener, I have to say I have some help. Yes, the more I think about it, the more I've decided my gardening issues can be lumped into one of four categories:
#1. Plants that actually grew and we were able to eat. This year those very few things turned out to be tomatoes, sugar snap peas, butternut squash and carrots. Foolproof staples.
#2. Things that actually grew but got eaten by 'others.' And by 'others' I mean deer, groundhogs, squirrels, raccoons, rabbits, butterflies, worms, and who knows what else. (Yes, they are all living in our backyard). Those 'others' seem to have liked the strawberries, sugar snap peas, the tops of my carrots, broccoli, lettuce, sunflowers, watermelon, peppers, tomatoes, etc.
#3. Things that I didn't plant, but grew anyway. How does that happen? I have no idea, but this year I ended up with two cucumbers and a whole ton of chili peppers (want some for your salsa, Linds?). I'm not sure what happened to my bell peppers?
#4. Things that got picked, plucked and pulled off by Brooklyn, Ella and all of their friends just as they were starting to grow.
So, does it make sense to plant again next year? Sure, why not.
Ahhhh, one of the few things that we could actually eat.
Wow Ash! I'm really impressed. I can't get ANYTHING to grow! Those carrots look awesome.
ReplyDeleteLooks pretty good! I hear you on the still searching for talents thing. Gardening is a good hobby, especially when your girls can start weeding for you. I'm sure my dad will be very excited to dicuss and tour the garden.
ReplyDeleteThe bday invite was so cute - that's a talent. You're creative. I liked the self-destruct part.
No clue on the paragraph thing. I never know for sure what will end up on my blog. Maybe in depends on the style/format you chose at the beginning??
I should proofread before I hit post comment.
ReplyDelete