Saturday, February 5, 2011

Willy Wonka

Does that name bring back memories, or what? I used to LOVE this movie so when Ella told me her teacher was reading Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory to her class, I immediately opened my big mouth and said, "Oh Ella! Lets have a Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory Movie Party with all of your classmates!" My little professional party-planner-in-the-making jumped on the idea and was soooo excited to get started.

The movie party started Thursday afternoon at 3:30 pm, and by 3:45 pm there only four kids left watching the movie... Ella being one of them. The rest of the kids were running around the house, jumping off the furniture and playing in the playroom. Plus, there were Skittles and M&Ms rolling all over the wood floors and popcorn, pretzel, and goldfish piles everywhere. It was hilarious!!

When's the last time you've watched Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory? I have to admit, compared to todays' awesomely animated movies, Willy Wonka was rather boring. It just can't compete with movies like Toy Story 3 and Tangled. There was way too much dialogue and the whole story went right over their heads... well, all but four of them. If it weren't for those four pair of eyes glued to the T.V., I would have popped in a better movie to re-engage the rest of the class.

Despite the fact that only four kids liked the movie, they all seemed to have had fun because when the moms showed up to take them home nobody wanted to leave. And, well, that's a better way to gauge a successful party anyway, right?!

These were the invitations. I just bought Hershey's chocolate bars, printed the Wonka Bar picture from the web onto sticky paper and then stuck them on. The golden tickets were printed on this really cool gold paper I found at JoAnn. I took the chocolate bars out of the wrapper and slid the golden tickets inside so just the edge of the ticket was sticking outside of the wrapper. I thought they turned out pretty cute.

Here's the class.
This was taken about five minutes into the movie...
This one about 10 minutes into the movie... can you see how they're starting to lose interest? So funny.

2 comments:

  1. First of all I want to know if you are losing it??? 10+ kids in your house at one time!!! You are by far the coolest mom around. I might have had them outside but NEVER inside! :) This story made me laugh. SA

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome Ash. You are such a good mom. I don't know if I could be as brave as you and invite all those kids to my house! So talented...

    ReplyDelete