Sunday, November 30, 2014

Jug Hill & Longwood Gardens

I love December! I love the feeling, the spirit, the hope, the joy, the kindness, the parties, the festivities, the music, the decorations, the smells, the weather (kinda), the excitement. What I don't love is the amount of goodies I tend to eat, and the challenge I have every year of trying to come up with a Christmas gift for my kiddos. I'm happy to report that I ended up doing a pretty good job this year. Everyone was happy, including me!

Christmas preparations started the day after Thanksgiving with a trip to Jug Hill to cut down our own Christmas tree. We love this tradition every year, and having Clark and Christy with us made it even better. The girls have fun picking out the best tree... which ends up being the weirdest looking one in the forest. This year was no exception, although we didn't quite figure out our tree's lopsidedness until we got it home and cut it loose... 


When you're searching for a tree in the freezing cold weather, sometimes you just have to take the first tree the kids agree on and call it good. Hot chocolate is a great bribery tool, which worked again this year when we were trying to settle on which tree would be the lucky winner and get to spend the next month inside our nice warm home, decorated with the most unusual, hand-made ornaments on the planet... 




Another successful year of NO sawed-off fingers. Each of the kids got their turn to try to cut the tree down... 

Last year's tree had a major spider problem, which we found out the next morning. This year's tree had an unusual looking nest deep inside, which lucky for us, we found right away and took it right outside... 

After our visit to Jug Hill, and hot chocolate with lunch, we hopped back in the car and drove to Longwood Gardens for their Christmas lights display, which is always fun. Okay, again the freezing cold wasn't much fun, but you have no choice. We just have to bundle up, bring extra blankets and try to feel that warm Christmas feeling deep within your heart... 

Hudson found the kids water garden in the huge Orangery to be his favorite part of the visit, although getting completely soaked wasn't such a great idea when he had to go back outside...

No comments:

Post a Comment