The invitations were super awesome! An official-looking Hogwarts acceptance letter giving all the party details was mailed to each friend in an official-looking envelope exactly like the ones Harry Potter received (red seal included). Inside was also a train ticket for the Hogwarts Express.
Friday night, Ella and her siblings, plus 16 of her friends arrived at Diagon Alley where they grabbed money at Gringotts Bank, then went shopping for their robes at Madam Maulkins Robes for All Occasions, their book bags and spell and potion books at Florish and Blotts Booksellers, their one-of-a-kind wands at Olivander's Wand Shop, and black cauldrons at Potage's Cauldron Shop.
Once they were equipped with all their school supplies, they each filled out a quick "House Quiz" (so we could learn more about them and sort them accordingly) and then headed to Platform 9 3/4. Running directly through the brick platform wall, they entered Hogwart's School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where the Sorting Hat was waiting to sort them into their Houses.
From the Sorting Hat, it was on to Potions Class where the wizards used the recipes in their potions book to make potions for Madam Pomfrey to use in the infirmary. I think this was the wizards favorite part. They were sizzling, oozing, and exploding all sorts of things using ingredients like Unicorn Horns, Crushed Dragon Bones, Spider Eggs, Phoenix Tears, Basilisk Venom, etc.
We headed to the Great Hall following Potions for a candlelight dinner of meatball hoagies (Ella's favorite), watermelon, grapes, veggies, dip, chips, pickles, and a Potions Mixing drink station where the wizards could mix up their own fruity concoctions. They loved this, too.
As we were wrapping up dinner, I received an urgent message from Professor Dumbledore announcing the Sorcerer's Stone had been stolen. The wizards had to solve riddles and follow the clues to find it, taking them all over the house inside and out (even in the torrential downpour).
Luckily, the awesomely smart wizards solved all the riddles and found the Sorcerer's Stone. From there it was on to Transfiguration Class, where each wizard had to transform themselves into a character from the book while the rest of the group guessed who they were.
We had to skip dessert - Hagrid's Rock Cakes (monkey bread) - because we were running out of time and so head straight for Honeydukes Candy Shop before parents started to arrive. The wizards filled up their candy bags with Fainting Fancies, Bertie Bott's Every Flavor Beans, Dementor's Kiss-Aways, Drooble's Best Blowing Gum, Mini Magical Wands, Dumbledore's Lemon Drops, Licorice Snaps, and Acid Pops.
It was such a fun party and all the kids got into character and had a great time. Not to mention the fact that I had a total blast just planning the party, cause who doesn't love all things magical!? If only the weather would have cooperated, we could have played Quidditch, too. Oh well! We'll save that for the next Harry Potter party... and there will be another one!
I covered our front door to look like the brick wall of Diagon Alley. True Witches and Wizards just wave their wand and the bricks slide open to reveal a passageway to Diagon Alley. But, of course, you already knew that cause you've read all the books, too....
At Gringotts Bank, gold bags were filled with gold Galleons for the kids to take...
Madam Maulkin's had a black robe for each wizard to wear and take home...
Flourish and Blott's supplied each wizard with a book bag, potions book, and spell book...
The spell books had a list and definition for all the spells in the Harry Potter books...
The trick is learning how to pronounce them the correct way and to wave your wand the right way...
These were the potion books with the potions (science experiments) the kids got to make during Potions Class...
Honeydukes didn't open until the end of the party, but it was very tempting for most of the wizards at our party...
At Olivander's Wand Shop, each wizard put several wands on the black Lazy Susan and gave it a spin. Whatever wand was pointing at the wizard when it stopped was the wand they got, because we all know it's the wand that chooses the wizard...
It took me several days and many more hours, but I finally managed to make 21 black robes for all the wizards to wear for the night and take home if they wanted. I debated whether or not I should make the robes, but how can you have a Harry Potter party without them?...
What would Diagon Alley be without the latest broom model for sale?...
The black cauldrons I ordered were smaller than I thought. I was hoping the wizards could use them to mix up their potions in Potions Class, but oh well. They can use them for something else...
Platform 9 3/4 was so fun to run through, and of course no Muggles were allowed past the "No Muggles" sign. Once through the platform, you were magically at Hogwarts...
The Great Hall before the wizards arrived. I was hoping to make "floating candles" to hang from the ceiling, but I ran out of time, so the Christmas icicle lights I had on hand worked just fine...
Potions Mixing Drink Station included Sprite, lemonade, fruit punch, water, KoolAid powder, Pop Rocks, and Pumpkin Juice (which is disgusting, by the way)...
Some of Ella's favorite foods crammed onto a tiny table. I had originally planned for the Great Hall to be outside on the back porch, but the rain forced me to change my plans...
Due to the rain, Potions Class was moved into the garage, but it worked out perfectly...
Hudson is ready to get this party started with his wizard's robe, wand and school supplies...
This wizard could not wait for Honeydukes to open it's doors (or in this case, it's jar lids)...
One of the wizard's older sister was a huge Harry Potter fan and wanted to come, so she was my helper for the night...
It was so great to have the kids really get into the whole theme. Caroline even had her own Gryffindor robe...
Setting up the wands to spin and choose their wizard...
While the guests arrived and got their supplies, the others took their House Quiz and ate Chex Mix...
Ready for Platform 9 3/4...
Such a good group of wizards. I see a lot of magical potential in them...
Many of the wizards even brought their Hogwarts Express train ticket with them to the party. I loved that...
I taped the baby monitor inside the Sorting Hat and Ryan became the voice who sorted, based on each wizard's House Quiz, which House each wizard would get placed into. The wizards thought this was so funny and spent some time trying to figure out how the hat was talking. Once the wizards were sorted, they received a House badge to stick on their robe...
Everybody gathered around as the Sorting Hat was placed on each wizard's head to hear the House it chose. There was even chanting and cheers from other house members when the houses were called...
Potions Class in the garage was so fun and the kids loved mixing ingredients and working together. I had them pair up with another House member so they could earn points based on their potions success...
Ella, and her new school friend Vanshika, hard at work reading their potion instructions...
I loved the bottles I found at the Dollar Store. They weren't as potion'y looking as I wanted, but they were still different enough so they looked like real potion bottles...
Michael and Anthony trying to figure out a potion...
Dinner in the Great Hall...
Anya was studying her Spells book during dinner like a good student, and passing the info on to Kendall and Madison...
During the hunt for the Sorcerers Stone, the kids had to work together to solve the riddles and find the hidden clues. They also got a little wet out in the downpour...
The birthday girl found the stone...
I didn't get any pictures of Transfiguration Class, but my girlfriend was nice and thoughtful enough to snap a few pictures of me serving up Honeydukes Candy to all the wizards...
I made all these cute labels for the wizards to stick on their candy bags and they just kinda looked at me like I was crazy. I know they were thinking, "why do I need a sticker to seal up my candy?" They just didn't appreciate these little things I thought were so cute!...
Brooklyn loved the party and all of the pre-party hype. She kept asking what the signs meant that I was taping up all over the house... like what's a Muggle, or why does the sign say Platform 9 3/4? She is just as excited to start reading the Harry Potter series as Ella was. I'm not sure I can read them again and again with every kid. We might have to listen to them as audiobooks instead...
One of the gifts Ella received from her friends was Hedgwig. Now, if only he could deliver the thank you notes for us...




















Finally getting caught up with your blog. This party must have been the greatest of the year. Wow, what an amazing mom you are! But I already knew that! :)
ReplyDelete