Monday, November 26, 2018

Thanksgiving 2018

Another fun Thanksgiving day spent eating, laughing and hanging out with Layne and Shelley Asay!

And by laughing I mean mostly at my dismal attempts at cooking. This year was no different but instead of setting the oven on fire, or melting the plastic turkey pan lid to the oven grate, or the turkey pop-up thermostat not working and drying out the poor bird beyond reason, or melting a cheap thermometer to the turkey... this year Ryan and I made the BEST mistake of all!

Now, this year's mistake was not that bad compared to an oven fire, but it all changed at the point where Ryan starts cutting into the turkey and finds only dark, grey meat, and hardly any meat at all.

So, we're all standing around looking at these few pieces of dark, kind of grey'ish looking turkey meat and Ryan's complaining that there's something wrong with the meat and the bird because there is literally NO meat on the poor thing! So, Layne and Shelley start asking when I bought the turkey, how long I let it defrost, how long it's been in the oven, what's it's temperature, etc. etc. so we can figure out the problem.

It's seems I've done everything right and the temp is good, so from there we started joking maybe the turkey was over exercised because it didn't have any meat on it's bones, or that it's just a bad turkey. Then Ella, in all seriousness, suggests maybe the turkey was an "elderly turkey", which starts us all laughing even harder at the thought that we have this old, run-down turkey.

At some point Layne looks over at the bird and casually says... the turkey looks like it's UPSIDE DOWN! WHAT? Ryan and I put the turkey in the pan and in the oven upside down! And now, here is Ryan trying to carve the bottom of the turkey, which we all know is nothing but BONES! We are all dying laughing now! We flip the bird over and Ryan gets back to carving the whitest, juciest meat we've ever had!

Another Thanksgiving down for the books. I keep thinking one day I'll get it right. It's hard to believe Layne and Shelley keep coming!

Layne and Hudson playing the game Spot It...

Brooklyn and Ella just waiting for that turkey to finish cooking so we can begin the feast...

This might be the worst picture of everyone! I think they all have food in their mouths...

Ryan and our elderly bird...

Brooklyn, Ella and Shelley playing games...


Plus a few other "Fall Things"...

Learning all about the Vikings at the Franklin Institute...

Hudson and Brooklyn racing in the Sports room at the Institute...

Ella's display for Young Women in Excellence. She made the cute purse on display with Sugar last summer using the embroidery arm shown....



Kendall decides she wants me to do something fun with her hair and I LOVE it!...

Our first snow storm of the year happens BEFORE Thanksgiving...

Another fun hair day!...



Hudson's Thanksgiving apple turkey on display at school...

No comments:

Post a Comment