Christmas is in full swing at our house. It actually started last Friday. After eating our Thanksgiving leftovers, we packed up the handful of Thanksgiving decorations we own and pulled out the three huge 'Christmas'-labeled tupperware from the basement, plus several other boxes of goodies. I love seeing the same things year after year and there are a few things I absolutely love... like my snowman candy jars, my snowman cider server, etc. The girls love to help, too, which means we break a good 15% of our stash every year, but we have so much fun. We turn on the Christmas tunes and get to work.
On Saturday, we loaded the family up in the Suburban and headed out to Jug Hill Christmas Tree Farm where we hitched a ride out to the trees, borrowed a saw and cut down the perfect Christmas tree (according to Ella). We decorated our tree the way the kids wanted it decorated, which means the ornaments are randomly placed on the tree and several home-made craft projects involving blue painters tape and Elmer's white glue usually find their way on it, too. Yes, I have all of those fancy, lovely, expensive Christmas tree ornaments and decor stashed away in those tupperware, but for now, the tree belongs to Ella, Brooklyn and pretty soon Kendall. The tree usually ends up being an interesting "conversation piece."
This year I was on the ball (pat myself on the back) and started our Advent Calendar right on schedule... Wednesday, December 1st. I don't put little gifts, toys and/or candy in the pockets of mine. Instead, I write activities on note cards and stick them in. For example, today was "do something nice for your sister and surprise her." Yesterday it was, "donate one toy to Goodwill." On Thursday it was, "call or write a letter to your favorite cousin." The girls loved calling Abby and Presley (those were interesting conversations!). There are other things like outings to Sonic Drive In and an occasional treasure hunt to find a treat. This seems easier to me than buying a bunch of small little things and surprisingly, the girls are soooo excited to see the days' activity and then do it (even if it requires donating a toy to Goodwill).
So, I guess I'm keeping up with Christmas a little better this year... at least for now. (I guess it is only December 4th). Lets see if I can get those Christmas gifts bought and wrapped before Christmas Eve. Hmmm. I'd better get started right now!
We love going to Jug Hill. Yes that is a police van behind us directing traffic and making a seasonal crosswalk since parking is on one side of the road, and Christmas trees are on the other.
Hitching our ride out to the trees.
Yipee, we found the perfect tree. Not it's time to start sawing.
Kendall is saying, "It's way to freaking cold to be outside today!!"
You have to be the coolest family I know! I would give anything to have 1/4th of your energy while managing 3 little kids! You are my hero Ashley! I LOVE reading your blog....keep it up! Love you all, SA
ReplyDelete