Thursday, March 24, 2011

Catching Leprechauns

The sign says... "Do Not Climb Ladder," and since leprechauns like to break the rules, we thought for sure this would lure one right on up. They were supposed to grab the coins on top of the tissue paper and fall right into the hat. Except I screwed up...
The girls and I made these leprechaun traps just three days after Valentine's Day in the anticipation and excitement that we would catch a real live leprechaun. Of course, I tried explaining to the girls that leprechauns only come out the day before St. Patrick's Day and they turn to statues if you catch them, but they still continued to check them repeatedly - for the first few days.

Then, we all forgot about them... all the way up until St. Patrick's Day Eve when it dawned on me that I forgot to buy little leprechaun statues to put inside the traps to surprise the girls St. Patrick's Day morning. Ryan and I called around to every store we could think of that might still have little leprechauns, but to no avail. Every place was sold out.

You wouldn't think this would be a huge deal, right? I mean, it's not like Santa Clause didn't show up on Christmas morning. But it was a huge deal!! The girls were so bummed we didn't catch a leprechaun and because I was so bummed about blowing the whole surprise and we were running late for school that morning, I didn't even bother making any green pancakes, milk or anything else festive.

What a lame mom! I totally blew it for the girls and for me. I have a whole year to try and get it right next time!
Thank goodness Grandma Asay sent the girls a super fun St. Patrick's Day package. It was full of books, necklaces, sunglasses, silly bands, (which they hadn't put on yet) and these cute shirts. Thanks for making St. Patrick's day so much better despite my major screw up.

No comments:

Post a Comment