So, a few months ago I had this huge realization - an "aha" kind of moment. This realization should have happened about 20 years ago... but as my blog says "better late than never."
It all started in January...
For months, Brooklyn had been begging me to sign her up for dance classes. I was dragging my feet because Ella had already done two years of dance classes and didn't really like it. Plus, it's expensive with the classes and ALL the gear - tap shoes, ballet shoes, tights, leotards, skirts, etc. However, I finally succumbed.
I knew we needed a new dance studio. The other two Ella had tried were terrible and I figured, if we're going to do this again, I want to do it right. I asked around and heard about a great studio. The only problem was, it was on the other side of town. Well, I thought, we'll try it.
So, I got the girls signed up, spent a fortune on their gear, and then made the trek out to the new studio - a whopping 25 minute drive. I dropped Brooklyn off at her class (Ella goes a different day) and went back out to the car to hang out with Ella and Kendall while we waited for Brooklyn to finish.
As I was sitting out in the car I kept thinking, "there is no way I'm driving ALL the way out here twice a week for dance classes. No way." Then it dawned on me, "oh my gosh. My mom used to drive me to my dance studio nearly EVERY day of the week and it was an HOUR drive - ONE WAY! She, too, would sit out in the car and wait, not just one hour, but sometimes three or four hours!"
Well, you can imagine how terrible I felt - not only for being so selfish about not wanting to drive my girls to dance class, but more so for my poor mom - who I'm sure I didn't thank nearly enough - for all those many years and hundreds of hours of driving and waiting!
I'm sure my mom was surprised when I called her on my way home that night in tears because I had never once thanked her properly for doing something so amazingly great for me all those years ago. Why did it take me so long to realize the huge sacrifice she made for me? Duh is all I can say.
I can guarantee I have a lot more realizations to come my way! Thanks again and again, mom!
Wednesday, March 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment