Monday, June 8, 2009

Washington D.C.

While we were in Washington D.C. this weekend, we visited two of the Smithsonian museums, played in a few parks, chased pigeons, rode on a carousel and ate at great restaurants (well, that's relative when you're taking kids). I have to say that just wandering around the city and running into cute boutiques and sweet shops was the best part. I have a question for you guys, though. How do you travel with your kids? I mean, the four of us stayed in one hotel room, which meant at night Ryan and I either went to bed with the kids at 8:00 pm (not that I'm complaining about that), or hung out in the bathroom until the kids fell asleep. Is that weird? What about naps? Again, Ryan and I were hanging out in the bathroom. Ryan did spend one nap time wandering the city while I napped, too. But there's got to be another way, right? I'm sure you guys have a better way of doing things when you travel. Please tell.

Playing in the park and chasing pigeons... what more could you ask for in a day!

Ella love Washington D.C. so much that she decided to open her own pizza shop while we were there.

Ryan and I were singing songs of joy when we accidentally stumbled on this London favorite... Nando's. I know a few of you reading this (who either visited us when we lived in London or lived there, too) will start to drool at just the thought of their delicious food. Let me just say, it was just as good in D.C. as it was in London. Is a three hour car ride to far to go for dinner? I think NOT!

Brooklyn was giving me a tour of the Air and Space Smithsonian...

... and also showing me how to fly an airplane.

5 comments:

  1. Hey sister. The Hotel room dilemma. The last time we did this was travelling back from PA at Christmas time when our car broke down. I seem to remember we shut the TV off and just talked quietly until the kids feel asleep. Then put the TV back on for a bit and then called it a night. In regards to naps, when we travel we just count the sleep time in the car as nap time. Though I think maybe we got jack to nap during the one day. Pack and plays help. :0) We have been blessed with good sleepers though.. Miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Seriously...Nando's! I better book our flight to DC now. Pete and I LOVEd that place in Bristol. We would eat there all of the time (and a few times with you guys, I think). How fun. Brooklyn is a doll and looks so much like your side of the family Ash. Super cute kids. We miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fun trip! I'm not one to give advice on the sleeping/hotel thing. Actually, I'm just not one to offer any kind of advice when it comes to sleeping. 8? That really sounds dreamy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ashley, I'm loving your blog! Your post about the trip got me a little worried....it's been so long since we've had to think about naps and stuff. We will be entering that baby phase again REALLY soon...reality hasn't hit us yet. I keep trying to prepare myself for the changes ahead, but it's really hard to do that. All I can say is, time really does fly by fast...so try to enjoy each moment...even when you get stuck sitting in the bathroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No naps and late bed times when staying in a hotel. That's how we do it. Not fun, but luckily we don't stay in hotels often. Or else you can start staying in places with two rooms although that is still painful.

    Is that one comment trying to say that my side of the family is ugly?

    See you guys soon!! Are you ready for the Murricanes? The kids will have a blast together.

    ReplyDelete