Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Arizona Adventures - Day 2

Wednesday was rise and shine quite early (since we were still on East Coast time). We ate breakfast and drove to Slide Rock. The kids LOVED Slide Rock. We could have spent the whole day there and they would have been as happy as can be! The water was too cold to actually slide down the rocks, but the girls took off their shoes and splashed around to their heart's content. They also loved climbing on all of the red rocks. We'll definitely be going back there with the kids when the weather and water are warmer.



We arrived at the Grand Canyon around lunch time and went straight to eat at El Tovar where we had really good food like Navajo Tacos, burgers, mac & cheese. I'm sure it was our full bellies that made it so we could barely catch Brooklyn just as she was climbing up and turning around to sit down on the knee-high rock wall that sits at the edge of the Canyon cliff. I about had a heart attack. Can you imagine losing your child because he/she fell off the edge of the Grand Canyon? I can because it almost happened.

Once I got over the sheer shock of that incident I could finally enjoy the absolute beauty and majesty of the Grand Canyon. Holy cow, it's huge! There is no picture or words that do it justice! This was pretty exciting for me and Ryan. Neither of us had been to the Grand Canyon before.

We spent some time walking around the edge then went on a short hike down the canyon a bit (with hands firmly gripped on two little girls). After a scoop of ice cream and one last look at the Grand Canyon we headed to our hotel in Williams where we got check in, swam, ordered pizza and then went to bed. Ahhhh a super easy night. Love those.
Lunch at El Tovar.
This huge cut-out was on our way down into the canyon.

That's the little wall Brooklyn climbed up and turned around to sit down on. The other side of the wall is straight down into the Grand Canyon. You can see why I almost had a heart attack!
I wish the pictures really showed how amazing it it.

No comments:

Post a Comment