Friday, June 21, 2013

Finishing First Grade

As of 12noon today, Ella became a SECOND GRADER! I cannot believe it. What an awesome year it's been and what an awesome first grade teacher Ella was blessed to receive. Mrs. Marchese was amazing, and Ella was so amazed after the first few weeks of school that "Mrs Marchese never yells!" (Quite a change from her Kindergarten teacher, I guess).

Here's a preview of how Ella wrapped up the last few months of her first-grade year...

Dr. Seuss' birthday celebration - "The Reading Cafe" - where Ella treated me to a cookie and her wonderful reading abilities (I even got to "order" the books I wanted her to read to me.)
 It's amazing how much this girl loves to read now that she's so good at it. I joke with her that she "always has her nose in a book." I couldn't be happier about it!
 For the first grade mini village, Ella chose to make a Library - no surprise there. The day she got the assignment, she ran home from the bus stop and got started on the project right away. Within and hour or so she was finished without a single bit of help from me or Ryan. It was adorable and so creative what she came up with - or so I thought. However, once she got it to school and saw what some of the other kids were bringing in, she was not longer excited and happy about what she had made. The tears began to flow the minute she got off the bus and by the time we reached our house we had a game plan in mind. We started from scratch and this is what the two of us came up with...
 She was so happy with the way her "round two" came out, but honestly I thought her first try was just as good, if not better, because she came up with the ideas and made it herself. I tried to tell her, but she wanted to try again anyway. I'm glad we got it looking the way she wanted.
 The Mother's Day program was absolutely adorable and Ella sang every song so well and even had a speaking park during the show. All of the first-grade kids were asked to draw a picture of their mom. Can you find me on the wall?...
 Yep, there I am. I look so beautiful Ella - thanks. So, good, in fact, I walked into the gym and a few of the mom's rushed up to me and commented on my adorable picture and how they wished their kid drew them as well as Ella drew me. 
 Ella is a great performer and practiced her songs and speaking part several times at home. I'm glad she takes it so seriously. She looked so beautiful in her polka dot dress and her fancy hair, that you can't even see in these picture.
 Ella had more fun curtseying after every song than actually singing them. I'm not sure where the curtsey came from, but it's funny!
 I received lots of nice gifts - the portrait of me, pot of flowers, etc. - as well as her handprint and poem.
 I love you beautiful!
 There you are mom.

 I felt like Ella was graduating from high school the way she and her friends were hugging and getting their pictures taken. The boy to Ella's left is Anthony and has a serious crush on her according to Ella, Mrs. Marchese, and Anthony's parents. He is such a polite kid.
 Ella's artistic talents just flourished this year, too, and two of her pieces were chosen for two special events. This piece was chosen by Ella's art teacher to hang in the school district's administrative building during the month of May.
 So proud of her!
 Her second piece was chosen for the school district art show. The art there was amazing and it was exciting to see Ella's piece hanging right there with them.
 Why does everyone always looks so miserable in our family pictures? Ryan and look happy to be there! =-)
At "Young Author's Night," Ella showed us some of the art and writing she has been working on throughout the year. Plus, a binder full of poems she has written. There is no doubt this girl loves to write just as much as she loves to read!! Mrs. Marchese says she often has to tell Ella to go to recess instead of staying inside to finish a writing assignment that was only supposed to be a single page anyway, but somehow morphed into three. 
 Another great portrait of me, thank you very much! =-)
 And finally home from school and her last day of first grade! Congratulations Miss Ella. Your dad and I couldn't be more proud of you for the excellent work you've done this year, all of the many things you've learned, and all of the talents you've discovered and enhanced. You truly are such a smart, loving, kind, talented and funny girl. Rock on you Second Grader!

No comments:

Post a Comment