Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Back to School Date Night

Tomorrow is the first day of school for Ella and Brooklyn (Kendall doesn't start preschool until September 10th). I'm so excited and nervous for them all - especially Brooklyn. She starts Kindergarten tomorrow and I'm afraid I haven't prepared her as well as I would have liked academically. Plus, I'm so nervous for her to ride the bus, meet new friends, not get lost, etc. You know... all those things a mother worries about when they send their child off to a new school!

Ella is such a pro at the school thing now, that I don't worry about her in the same way I do for Brooklyn. With Ella, it's a whole new set of worries. I'm envisioning second grade as the year things really start to change for her. I'm worried she's going to really "grow up" this year and mature in a way I'm not ready for. I can't really explain it, but I don't want my sweet, nice, adorable little Miss Ella to change into what I envision second grade girls can sometimes be. Does that make any sense?

So I took the girls to do their back-to-school shopping last week and I learned so much about each of them as we were wandering around the mall, trying on clothes in the dressing rooms, and chatting over treats. Here's how our dates went...

Ella was such a total goofball on our date. The girl was happy, giddy, giggly, and just all over silly! I love seeing this side of her! She was so excited to pick out some new things (although I got a little nervous when she said her goal was to find a shirt with elephants on it cause she loves them) and even try everything on. I was shocked... this is the girl that would wear her soccer shorts and jersey every day if I let her and would rather die than wear a dress. The one I still have to pick out clothes for every night cause she just doesn't care at all. She was dancing all over the dressing room in all the new clothes, vogueing at herself in the mirror, and posing for me to take pictures. We were laughing so hard in the dressing room that I was afraid we were going to get kicked out of the store.
 Notice anything on Ella's shirt? Yes, it's an elephant. Can you believe we actually found a pretty cute shirt with an elephant on it? 
 Ella chose ice cream at Cold Stone for her treat...
 I'm pretty sure not all second graders can do this...

Brooklyn really surprised me on our shopping trip this year. For days she had been talking about our upcoming date night, but when we finally got to the mall, Little Miss Fashionista herself didn't really want to pick out and/or try on any clothes. WHAT?! She was so focused on getting ice cream that she couldn't think about anything else. Well, I finally got her into the dressing room to try on a few things and, like with her shoes, was quite picky about what she wanted. She started to loosen up and have fun when she tried on a few new dresses and a new nightgown. I did manage to talk her into a few things (and talk her out of a few things), but in the end, she was more excited about buying a few new pair of leggings and tights than anything else. What is it with this girl and tights?

Every dress had to be extensively twirled in to make sure it was a good match for this girl...
 She was more excited about getting this new nightgown than anything else...

 Another Cold Stone Creamery lover...

Kendall was quick and easy on our date night. We walked into the mall and the only thing she wanted was a pair of flip flops like the ones her cousin Berkley wore at the cabin this summer. Seriously, that's all she talked about the entire date... the flip flops she wanted to get... and then the new flip flops she bought. She is still talking about them four days later. It actually worked out great because the girl does not need any more clothes. She gets all of her sisters' hand-me-downs, and my mom just bought her a bunch of new things for her birthday.
 Check out the new flip flops. Kendall chose soft pretzels and cheese for her treat...
 A stop at the mall playground was a must for this one...

I guess the girls are all set to head on off to school and leave poor Hudson and me home alone. Hmmmm, that might not be so bad. =-)

No comments:

Post a Comment