Monday, October 7, 2013

Ella's Baptism

Ella was a mix of emotions as her 8th birthday approached. She was so excited that she was finally turning eight, that a whole bunch of family were coming out to celebrate with us, and that she would finally get her own Rainbow Loom Kit. However, she was a little nervous about getting baptized.

The week before her baptism, Ella had an interview with our ward Bishop. I found her outside his door crying. She was so scared she wouldn't know the right answers to his questions. Once I assured her it wasn't a quiz, and when the Bishop said he just wanted to ask her about her birthday party, she calmed down and went right in. She came out of the Bishop's office all smiles. Later, when the Bishop called me and Ryan in, he told us all about is enlightening conversation with Ella. He said all he did was ask her about her birthday party plans and it was like he opened the door for endless conversation. He said she talked non-stop and did a great job answering all of his questions about baptism. It doesn't take much to get that girl talking!

On Sunday, Ella was all nervous giggles, but as happy as can be. She loved wearing the baptism jumpsuit and was disappointed she had to take it off. The program was so great, too. Her grandma and grandpa Asay spoke about baptism and the Holy Ghost, and Ella and her girlfriends from her CTR-7 class sang "A Child's Prayer." Ryan baptized Ella and confirmed her. His confirmation blessing was absolutely amazing! After the blessing, Ella jumped up from the chair and started to run right over to where we were sitting. I couldn't tell if it was because she was still nervous about being the center of attention in front of so many people, or if she was just excited to get back to sitting next to her cousin Abby. At any rate, Ryan had to grab her fast before she got much farther away to give him a hug (which is practically mandatory after a blessing =-) and to shake the other brethrens' hands that made up the priesthood circle. The whole congregation laughed at Ella's fast dash away!

The program was short and sweet, and afterwards, we had all of Ella's CTR-7 classmates and their families, several of our non-member friends, and our out-of-state family over for lunch. It ended up being 70 people - mostly kids, of course. Ella requested meatball hoagies and my mom's berry pie, which we obliged, along with fruit, veggies, chips, 'baptism potatoes', and so many desserts I lost track. We also had a candy bar with several of Ella's favorite candies. Needless to say the kids were totally doped up on sugar by the time they left, and from all the running around, laughing, and dressing up in costumes, I'd say they had a good time.

I hope the day was special for Ella and that she will remember this very important day in her life.

"It's Great To Be 8" although it would be nice if you could actually read the banner I made. I don't think anyone paid any attention to it since there were so many goodies underneath the sign.
 I'm so grateful Jim snapped all of these pictures so I could focus on other things. Thank Jim! Glad we took a few pictures before the baptism began.
 Sugar and Ella just before the baptism began.
 Grandpa Asay, Ella and Grandma Asay after the baptism.
 Aunt Shelley, Uncle Layne and cousin Connor drove down from NJ to spend the day with us. They almost missed the baptism because of traffic. That would have been awful! Another picture of a very tired little Hudson. At least he had someone to snuggle with him.
 Perfect Travis!! =-) Lookin' good mom!
 We are so grateful all of these guys came out-of-state to be here for Ella! Of course, Jim is behind the camera.
 We had a full house and lots of hungry people to feed.
 Luckily it was a perfect day. The weather was amazing. I'm not sure what we would have done if it was raining? Pack everyone up a lunch sack and send them home? =-)
 I think every kid at the house dressed up in some sort of costume, even the boys. Thank goodness we keep all of those old Halloween and dance recital costumes.
Before heading off to church Sunday morning, we were able to snap a few shots of the cousins...
And of course, our silly kids...

No comments:

Post a Comment