Monday, June 11, 2012

Summer Break, Day 1

When does school start again? Just kidding (well, kinda not). It was a very busy day today and the girls were ALL over the place with their activities. I tried to keep them focused, but there was just so much to do and they wanted to do it ALL today. Everything, of course, except change out of their pjs.

We spent quite a few hours this morning creating "Fairy Cottages" out of the goodies we found on our nature walk around the neighborhood Saturday night. The girls LOVED this. They probably would have kept going if they could have found one more millimeter left of space on their awesome creations. Fifteen glue sticks later and the girls had the absolute cutest little fairy houses ever. The pictures don't do them justice, plus you can't see the chandeliers and beds inside.

From the cottages we went straight to water. What is it about kids and water? I literally filled up a small, under-bed storage tupperware full of water and the kids played in it for an hour. They had a ball... doing what, I have no idea, but Brooklyn was squealing like it was Disneyland.

After lunch, the girls did some "homework" in their little workbooks. We've got to get Brooklyn up to speed on some things. I feel like she's really behind educationally, and I'm starting to worry. She just isn't interested at all in letters, numbers, shapes, etc. She is, however, overly concerned about her daily choice of clothing, matching shoes, how to style her hair for the day, and which flower to add to the finished product.

Ella, on the other hand, still can't get herself dressed in the morning unless I pick out her clothes and pry her pjs off of her. She doesn't care to have her hair combed, let alone styled with headbands, hair clips, or anything else for that matter. She does, however, surprise me every day with how well she can read and do math now. She is very smart, loves to learn, and picks up on things pretty fast.

After homework, we focused on creating our fairies, because you can't have fairy cottages without residents, right? Ella went right to work on her fairy and it turned out so good that Brooklyn wanted hers exactly like it - with her own little touches of course. They played and played with the fairies and their cottages until it was time for dinner.

Now that the kids are in bed, I'm exhausted and thinking about what to do with everyone tomorrow. I kinda like not having to rush out of the house for anything, but I think we'll start to get stir crazy with that real fast. I guess we'll see what happens on Summer Break, Day 2.
 Getting started on our fairy cottages.
 Little Miss Kendall finding her own fun since she's not really the crafting type... yet.
 Ella's is on the left, Brooklyn's is on the right. Aren't they so cute?! We found all of the leaves, flowers and sticks around our yard and the neighborhood. It was the cheapest fun ever - just a whole lot of hot glue! =-)
Fun in the water.
 Brooklyn's fairy - I think she named her Bella, which is the name of a girl she made friends with at camp last week. So cute!
Ella's fairy - I'm not sure what her name is. I'll have to find out tomorrow. So adorable! Again, all sticks, leaves, flowers and hot glue.

1 comment: